The first few months I was here in Chile, I was scared to go out on my own. I was afraid of getting lost and not being able to ask for help. Getting to the half way mark of our trip triggered something I imagine is similiar to a midlife crisis. I was feeling pretty down on myself that I hadn't adjusted faster than I had hoped. So, I decided to take to bus all by myself and go downtown. I am a regular bus rider now. Sometimes I go to shop at Unimarc, the main grocery store downtown. Other times I go to do some recreational shopping and people watching at the Recova. And other times, like in this post I go downtown to pay the bills.
I get on the bus that comes right down our street every fifteen minutes or so. I just have to put my hand out to let them know that I am interested in a ride. I pay my $350 pesos for the ride (about 75 cents) and get off downtown.
I walk about 4 blocks to first pay the cable bill. We have an internet and TV package that allows us to get online for our schooling and also to enjoy watching TV which we rationalize as Spanish practice. I will admit that the kids have learned a lot of Spanish from the Disney Channel.
Right across the street I pay the electric bill.
Then I walk for a few more blocks until I get to the place where I pay the water bill.
After this, it is about an 8 block walk to the collectivo station where I can take a taxi for $450 pesos that will take me right back to my house.
On this trip Evan came with me to keep me company and to look for coins on the street. He found three this time. It may not seem like much, but I am very proud of the fact that I can take the bus downtown and do some errands on my own.
1 comment:
Jill... I think taking your whole family to Chile and agreeing to home schooling your kids is brave enough. I can't even imagine myself doing that! Then there is all the other stuff.... trying to communicate in a language you have not officially learned, traveling on public transportation, camping! You are amazing and super brave. I love you!
Post a Comment