Friday, January 20, 2012

Feria by the Beach

On Friday night, Dave and I went out for a date down by the beach.  Now that it is summer, many more ferias and vendors have opened up shops.  There were a couple down on Avenida del Mar that we wanted to check out.
This store was fun with all its earrings.  The fun thing is that each pair is only a dollar or two each.  Most are much too large for my taste, but I found a fun pair that I decided to buy.


Another feria also has a few carnival rides.  I had to laugh at how ancient some of these rides looked.  I am sure that they wouldn't pass codes back home.  I thought it was funny that you could choose to ride a horse or Pluto or a seal balancing a ball.
As the sun went down, the people really started to come out.  We quickly discovered that the night life doesn't begin until around 10 or 11pm.
I had to get a picture of the prizes for the carnival games.   I don't think that any of these toys are new.  I bought Evan that same Funshine Bear carebear on Ebay a couple of years ago.  Not only are these toys not new, but some you could probably make some good money selling them on Ebay.

Behind the carnival games we found a huge tent full of shops.  These necklaces caught my eye.  I have been fascinated with all the owl jewelry I have seen here.  This guy had some different owl necklaces and a few more that I just couldn't resist.


We had so much fun at the beach that we decided to show everything to the kids the next night.  We stopped by the light house first.  We hadn't noticed the cannon before.  During the day, the lighthouse is a tourism office.

The lighthouse is such a great landmark.
The sun was casting a shadow on the lighthouse right about sunset.  Emily took this picture of Dave and I.  As a side note...I should probably look into getting that thing removed from my back.  It is really just my sweater.
Back at the shops they also have some food stands and a stage for entertainment.  We treated ourselves to some french fries, empanadas and cono pizzas (pizzas in the shape of an ice cream cone).  Then Dave bought us all capao cactus flavored icecream cones.  You might remember from a few posts ago when we tried the cactus fruit.  Well, they turned in into ice cream.  It was delicious.  It was tart and creamy and you could crunch the little seeds from the cactus fruit in your teeth.



 It was a great night out as a family.  We didn't leave until after 11pm and the line of cars coming to the beach was incredibly long.  And we thought we were staying up late.

Here is a reminder of what the capao cactus fruit looks like.  Imagine tart kiwi flavored icecream full of crunchy little black seeds.  Very exotic!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

You look like you are having such a great time experiencing a different country. What great memories your kids will have!