While Dave has been taking a class in Argentina, we have been trying to entertain ourselves here in La Serena. For our second Saturday without him, we decided to start it off with a big breakfast marathon. While I was cooking crepes, Bj was busy making pancake batter all by himelf.
As you can tell, he is very proud of his accomplishment. It is nice for me to have helpers in the kitchen even though it took almost 2 hours to cook all the batter in a skillet one pancake at a time. Luckily we will have leftovers all week long.
To combat a severe case of cabin fever, we headed downtown via bus to spend sometime in El Centro and the Recova. Evan really likes the fountain at the Recova, especially when it is high like this.
We got ourselves a little ice cream treat and watched the fountain for a little while.
Then, Evan and I introduced the three older kids to our friend Carolina. Since Evan and I come down here at least once a week, we are starting to get to know some people. Carolina is very nice. She likes to ask us what certain words are in English and she especially likes to talk to Evan. He has told her all about Emily, Andrew, and BJ and it was nice that we could finally introduce her to them.
Emily decided to buy one of these neclaces they are selling at the Recova. They write your name on a grain of rice and put it in a little vile filled with colored liquid.
Emily chose one like this with blue liquid.
Here she is actually wrting Emily's name on the grain of rice. She did a great job with the printing. Emily was quite pleased.
Next, we walked a few blocks over to the Plaza de Armas. It was nice to see this fountain with water. It hadn't had any all winter long.
Here are a few buildings that I was inspired to take pictures of along the way.
We just love this door. This is the same place that the kids went to that bird show a few weeks back.
Here I am back by the Recova. This is the church San Agustine.
This is a typical sight here on the street called Cien Fuegos. It is always filled with micros (buses) and colectivos (taxis). We finished our afternoon out by walking five or so blocks to the taxis station that would take us back to our house up on the hill. For this trip, we got the taxi of a man name Eugene that Evan and I had ridden with before. He remembered us. He likes to try out his english. We taught him how to say cheap because he charged us for four passengers even though we had five with us. He pronounced it like sheep though. I am sure we sound just as funny when we speak spanish with our North American accents.
That night I made the kids a rainbow cake to celebrate St. Patricks's Day. They don't celebrate it here, so the kids didn't even know that it was St. Patrick's Day. They didn't complain when they were having their rainbow cake.
A funny side note...the picture on the left was taken in August when we first got here. Andrew is slouching a bit, but it shows the kids height more or less at that time. The photo on the right was taken yesterday on March 17th. Andrew is definitely taller than Emily. Crazy isn't it? He just might pass me up before we get home.
3 comments:
Jill! What a fun day with just you and the kids! I love how you guys have your regulars downtown that all recognize you. Its so cute! I love all the cool pictures you take and all the neat stuff you guys get to see. I can't believe that Andrew is so tall andy so grown up. Love and miss you!
Oh Jill I love and miss your family. What a great day out with your family and I knew Andrew would shoot up just not already :)
Ok, I have been waiting for an earthquake post! I want to hear all about it. !!!!!
Post a Comment